When you’ve been in politics as long as career politician Tim Ryan, you’re bound to undergo a career makeover or two. But seeing how the serial chameleon has reinvented himself yet again as Democrats’ freshly-minted Ohio Senate nominee, we thought we’d take a trip down memory lane to reintroduce Ohioans to the real Tim Ryan:
- While running for president in April 2019, Ryan bragged about supporting Medicare for All since 2007 and said: “I was on it before it was cool.”
- During a 2019 Democratic presidential primary debate, Ryan said he agreed with Julian Castro’s position to decriminalize illegal border crossings via eliminating Section 1325 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
- At an American Federation of Teachers event, Ryan talked about “how much I love Randi [Weingarten],” pledged to think about the union every morning walking into the Oval Office, and praised how “the teachers’ union has never been knocked down.”
- Ryan called for abolishing the Senate filibuster to pass a bill that would allow abortions up to the ninth month of pregnancy.
- Ryan supports getting rid of the Hyde Amendment and has voted against prohibiting taxpayer money from being used on abortions.
- Ryan endorsed Joe Biden for President, saying he was “proud to support a candidate who can unite our party behind bold solutions,” claiming Biden would “grow a stronger middle class and create jobs for working Americans” and adding Biden has a “touch with blue collar workers.”
- Ryan said he liked Pelosi “a lot,” was “the best politician in the Democratic Party,” was “doing a terrific job,” and believed she wasn’t as unpopular across the country as she once was.
- In April 2022, Ryan joked that he has to “suck up” to Chuck Schumer and called him his “future boss.”
- In 2013, Ryan attended a kickoff event for the pro-Hillary Clinton Super PAC “Ready for Hillary,” and was the first House member to call on Clinton to run for President.
“The real Tim Ryan has been telling us who he is all along: a progressive true believer who supported single payer ‘before it was cool,’ wants a decriminalized border and abortion on demand. Ryan’s latest consultant-crafted image stands in stark contrast to his own words and actions over his long career in politics, which we look forward to reminding Ohioans of at every opportunity.” -SLF Communications Director Jack Pandol