Democrats have insisted that Joe Biden’s reckless $1.75 trillion spending bill must and would be fully paid for. Then the nonpartisan analysts got a look at their bill.
The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) recently found that if Democrats’ budget gimmicks weren’t included and the programs contained within the bill were made permanent, it would add an additional $3 trillion to the deficit. And yet Democrats have continued to lie through their teeth that this bill is paid for.
Spoiler alert: It’s not.
In case you missed it, the Wall Street Journal labeled Democrats’ insistence on this talking point the “lie of the year” in an editorial:
Overall, Mr. Swagel says in his letter, CBO and the Joint Committee on Taxation project that the House bill would increase the deficit by $3 trillion over 10 years without the budget gimmicks and phony phase-outs.
Democratic leaders Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer reacted furiously to this news, falling back on their claims that the Build Back Better Act is “fully paid for.” Mrs. Pelosi says CBO has scored Mr. Graham’s “imaginary bill.” But her bill is the real fiscal fantasy and “fully paid for” is the lie of the year.
All of this gives Mr. Manchin, and other Democrats hiding behind his skepticism, ample ammunition to call the whole thing off. If this bill passes, they’ll own all of the deficits, debt and inflation that result.
Reminder: Democratic Senate candidates have repeatedly insisted that Joe Biden’s reckless spending bill must and would be paid for. Now that we know that claiming so is the “lie of the year,” will these Democrats change their tune?
- Catherine Cortez Masto: “I think it should be paid for.”
- Val Demings: “a fiscally responsible and fully paid for plan”
- Val Demings: “it’s fully paid for”
- Mark Kelly: “Let me make it very clear: this is going to be paid for.”
- Mark Kelly: “I’ve told my colleagues that this budget reconciliation package must be paid for.”
- Conor Lamb: “all PAID for in BBB… This is a no brainer.”
- Tim Ryan: “We’re paying for the whole thing”
- Jon Tester: “100 percent” must be paid for
- Jon Tester: “I think it will be fully paid for; it needs to be fully paid for.”
“Democratic Senate candidates who claimed Joe Biden’s reckless spending spree would be fully paid for are either lying, or they’re voting against this boondoggle. There’s no middle ground when it comes to adding $3 trillion to the deficit while inflation rages out of control.” -SLF Communications Director Jack Pandol